Rev. Rod Richards, Minister
On April 22, 2012, the congregation unanimously voted to call Rev. Rod Richards to be our minister and he began his ministry with us on August 1st.
Rod grew up in a Lutheran family in the Midwest. He has been married to his wife, Hanje, for 26 years. They have one son, Jack, age 24, who lives in Minneapolis. Hanje, a life-long UU, introduced Rod to Unitarian Universalism. He has been a champion of our faith ever since.
Rod brings many gifts to our congregation, among them:
- Warm and personable leadership that will encourage, support and guide us to become our best selves
- Beautifully crafted worship with sermons that integrate the intellectual with the heartfelt, the spiritual, and the practical
- The ability to understand and work well with children, their parents, and grandparents
- A well-read, discerning, and knowledgeable presence that at the same time is accessible, sensible and responsive to the members of the congregation
- A wry sense of humor with the ability to enjoy life and readily share that joy
David Robinson, Congregational Administrator
Dr. Robinson moved to San Luis Obispo from Alaska in 2000. He became our Administrator in 2006.
Janise Rennie, Director of Religious Education
Janise has a diverse background in faith traditions through her studies with the Claritas Institute for Interfaith Spiritual Directors and the Sacred Art of Living and Dying programs. Janise has been involved with Hospice as a team teacher and in-home volunteer for over 18 years. She joined a grass roots Hospice program at the California Men’s Colony serving the program for 10 years. In addition, Janise earned her degree in Family Studies and Human Services applying her knowledge toward special education with the Atascadero School District.
Janise has two grown children and several furry friends at home. She enjoys the great outdoors, cooking, and time with family and friends. Janise believes teaching children through the lens of diversity and social justice will benefit all future generations. If you want to continue to learn about yourself and the world be a teacher!