Our congregation affirms and works to promote justice, equity, and compassion in human relations through community connection and collaboration.
Each month, our congregation donates to a local non-profit actively working directly with people in need in SLO county through our Community Outreach Offering. In the past thirteen years we have given away over $197,000 to worthy causes.
If you would like to sponsor an organization, or participate in an organization that would like to be a recipient of this offering, please read this introductory letter and then have someone from the applying organization fill out this application.
View recent recipients of the Community Outreach Offering.
Since Shower the People opened their shower doors to homeless people 5 years ago, they have given more than 10,000 showers! Founded by UU member Gwen Watkins and staffed totally by volunteers, showers are offered Tuesdays and Thursdays from 10 am to 1pm in the UUSLO parking lot, Sundays at the SLO Library and in Grover Beach. The mobile shower unit will offer showers at United Church of Christ in SLO on Saturdays, beginning September 3.
Volunteers are all ages, men and women, working and retired and come from a wide variety of backgrounds. Airline pilots, accountants, nurses, housewives, therapists, and engineers are just some of these backgrounds. The team of volunteers is a close-knit, hard-working and fun-loving group.
- Funding comes from community churches, local cities, grants and individual donations.
- Each guest receives a new T-shirt, boxers, socks, toothbrush/toothpaste, a comb, razor and hand sanitizer.
- Only biodegradable soap/shampoo is used.
- Fresh towels are provided to us weekly by the Dignity Health Arroyo Grande Community Hospital.
- With the expansion of services, more volunteers are truly needed!
- Volunteers can tailor their volunteer time to a schedule that works best for them.